Hi! I promised everyone an upate to the post a couple of days ago about the fantastic program at HEB Plus on Bob Bullock Loop to encourage use of reusable bags! Use a reusable bag and you are entered into a raffle for a $25 HEB gift card! Here are the details according to the very nice HEB Plus Checkout Cashier Manager:
1) Use a reusable bag and your name and phone number are entered into the raffle.
2) Raffles occur on the 1st of the Month and you will be notified via phone if you win.
3) The cycle of raffle ticket collection begins anew with each drawing.
4) Cashiers who check you out will put their name on your ticket. If you win, they win a $5 lunch on HEB.
5) The Checkout Manager was only aware of the program being sponsored at her store on Bob Bullock- However, at least one blog commenter mentioned that a couple of HEB’s in North Laredo were doing the same program.
How is that for a cool discovery?? I recently went to my local HEB in downtown Laredo and … uh … well there is a lot of re-usage of bags but not for the same reason. And there definitely is no $25 raffle for the white with red and blue striped reusable bags or for the suitcases or the metal carts that are often seen used for hauling away groceries.
I don’t know why there is such a reluctance to pass a plastic bag ordinance if using sturdier reusable bags is increasing in those who make a conscious decision to reduce the waste of the thin plastic bags. There has also always been a steady use amongst those who may not have as many resources and walk to stores and need a stronger bag to last as they walk home or across the international bridge.
This blog post is not about that, though, it is about celebrating Critters and Crayons online inception! Tricia will share other discoveries she makes on her new blog and in her regular stories in the Laredo Family Time Magazine.