The massive winter storm is scaring many folks up North, including my parents who made sure their generator was working and stocked up on water. Of course, we in Laredo don’t have to worry about being buried under feet of snow – although many are wishing for at least being able to see snow at the end of this week. Check out some interesting preparations (even a poem) about the upcoming record-breaking storm heading our way in the Canada-based National Post.
Mayor Salinas already did his “we are preparing and coordinating for the drop in temperature” on the news broadcast at noon. Let’s hope no one is left outside if we really are expecting a freeze (we have a freeze watch, if you didn’t know).
So Laredoans & South Texans:
* wrap your exposed water pipes or leave a tiny drip of water so pipes don’t freeze up
* bring all your pets inside (my dogs are making a happy mess right now in my extra room)
* cover your plants with breathable material (I see plastic wrapping – not a good idea)
* make sure you don’t blast your heater (AEP won’t be able to take the overload), instead, make sure you layer clothes and pull out the blankets
* if you don’t have heat in your home, seek shelter elsewhere
* stay off the streets if you are not used to the cold or driving with possible ice
What else, what else… I guess just bundle up. If you have more suggestions, post them in the comments!